From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another Install Issue
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:36:53
1 Am 16.10.2011 12:18, schrieb Mick:
2 > On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 11:05:55 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 16.10.2011 01:05, schrieb CJoeB:
4 >>> Hi everyone,
5 >>>
6 >>> Well, thanks to the help I got from the list, I finally have Gentoo
7 >>> installed on my new desktop and booting to a command prompt.
8 >>>
9 >>> However, now I have a networking issue.
10 >>>
11 >>> In past, when I booted to the install CD and my ethernet connection was
12 >>> not active, I typed net-setup eth0 and was able to set it up. This
13 >>> time, when I booted to the install CD and typed net-setup eth0, the
14 >>> network card was not recognized. I googled and found a post where
15 >>> someone said that they had to 'modprobe -r broadcom' and 'modprobe -r
16 >>> tg3' and then 'modprobe broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3' and then, run
17 >>> net-setup. I did this and then ifconfig returned my eth0 connection.
18 >>>
19 >>> Of course, later you have to do the cp -L /etc/resolv.conf
20 >>> /mnt/gentoo/etc/ .... which I did and dhcpcd has been added to my
21 >>> default runlevel.
22 >>>
23 >>> However, when I boot, eth0 does not start. I can start it manually by
24 >>> doing 'modprobe -r broadcom' and 'modprobe -r tg3' and then 'modprobe
25 >>> broadcom' and 'modprobe tg3'
26 >>>
27 >>> However, I would like to have my network started automatically.
28 >>>
29 >>> I do have config_eth0="dhcp" in my /etc/conf.d/net file
30 >>>
31 >>> Any suggestions?
32 >>>
33 >>> Colleen
34 >>
35 >> Hmm, a workaround would be a custom init script. Copy the following code
36 >> into a new file in /etc/init.d (let's say /etc/init.d/broadcom-fix):
37 >>
38 >> #!/sbin/runscript
39 >> description="Reload broadcom and tg3 modules to work around kernel bug"
40 >> depend() {
41 >> before net
42 >> after modules
43 >> }
44 >> start()
45 >> {
46 >> ebegin "Reloading broadcom and tg3 modules"
47 >> modprobe -r broadcom tg3 &&
48 >> modprobe broadcom &&
49 >> modprobe tg3
50 >> eend $? "Failed to reload modules"
51 >> }
52 >>
53 >> Make it executable (chmod 755) and add it to the default run level
54 >> (rc-update add broadcom-fix default).
55 >>
56 >> Better try to start it manually before rebooting so you can be sure it
57 >> works as expected.
58 >>
59 >> Hope this helps,
60 >> Florian Philipp
61 >
62 > This would be a workaround - the question is why does the module need to be
63 > removed and reinstalled manually? Why isn't the kernel loading it at boot
64 > time?
65
66 I agree that the problem should be solved but just in case Colleen wants
67 to continue with his installation (I know, he is installing Gentoo for
68 the first time so I doubt he values his time very high ;-) ), I suggest
69 he either implements my proposal outlined above or adds similar code to
70 /etc/conf.d/net:
71
72 preup() {
73 if [ "$IFACE" = eth0 ]; then
74 ebegin "Reloading broadcom and tg3 modules"
75 modprobe -r foo bar &&
76 modprobe broadcom &&
77 modprobe tg3
78 ewend $? "Failed to reload modules"