From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rear & Genkernel
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 22:29:16
1 On 06/03/2017 23:55, White, Phil wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm not sure if this needs submitting as a bug, or if I just need a
5 > little help in configuring...
6 >
7 > I have set up a new install of Gentoo. I use genkernel to create my
8 > kernel and initrd.
9 > The resulting /boot directory gives:
10 > kernel-genkernel-x86-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
11 >
12 > My chost is i686-pc-linux-gnu.
13 >
14 > Now, I also have installed rear (relax-and-recover) v2, from git
15 > (app-backup/rear is 1.17.1)
16 >
17 > Problem: rear is looking for a kernel, and it expects it to be named:
18 > kernel-genkernel-i686-4.9.6-gentoo-r1
19 > Since the name doesn't match, it bails out with an error. (This only
20 > fails with my i686 machine. Running the same configuration on a 64-bit
21 > machine works fine)
22 >
23 > Question: How am I going to fix this? I don't want to hard code anything
24 > in the config file, as this will break when I update the kernel... Is
25 > this a 'bug'?
28 Please clarify what version of rear has this problem, and how you
29 installed it.
30
31 Either way, from the problem description one can see that rear needs
32 patching, however:
33
34 If it was installed by ortage from an ebuild, then you have a bug to be
35 reported to b.g.o.
36
37 If you installed from git outside of portage, the you get to patch rear
38 yourself
39
40 Or, perhaps a third option. Does rear have a config file where you can
41 define the naming template for the kernel used? (I don't use rear and
42 can't be bothered googling it, the idea just occurred to me)
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com