From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Are "push" backups flawed?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:20:27
1 > It's out of scope for file transfer protocols; it's a daemon/system-local
2 > problem.  Attach pre-event or post-event scripts serverside for any special
3 > munging or protections you'd like to apply. (Such as triggering an LVM
4 > snapshot, for example...)
5
6 I must be going about this the wrong way. Am I the only one using
7 automated backups? If not, how is it done properly?
8
9 - Grant
12 >> >>>>> And if I pull, none of my backed-up systems are secure because
13 >> >>>>> anyone
14 >> >>>>> who breaks into the backup server has root read privileges on every
15 >> >>>>> backed-up system and will thereby "gain full root privileges
16 >> >>>>> quickly."
17 >> >>>>
18 >> >>>> IMO that depends on whether you also backup the
19 >> >>>> authentication-related
20 >> >>>> files or not. Exclude them from backup, ensure different root
21 >> >>>> passwords
22 >> >>>> for all boxes, and now you can limit the infiltration.
23 >> >>>
24 >> >>> If you're pulling to the backup server, that backup server has to be
25 >> >>> able to log in to and read all files on the other servers. Including
26 >> >>> e.g. your swap partition and device files.
27 >> >>
28 >> >> What if I have each system save a copy of everything to be backed up
29 >> >> from its own filesystem in a separate directory and change the
30 >> >> ownership of everything in that directory so it can be read by an
31 >> >> unprivileged backup user?  Then I could have the backup server pull
32 >> >> that copy from each system without giving it root access to each
33 >> >> system.  Can I somehow have the correct ownerships for the backup
34 >> >> saved in a separate file for use during a restore?
35 >> >>
36 >> >> - Grant
37 >> >>
38 >> >
39 >> > You could just as well use an NFS share with no_root_squash. It is
40 >> > really more a question of finding the right combination of tools to
41 >> > ensure proper separation of concern for server and client.
42 >> >
43 >> > In fact, I think we are intermixing three distinct problems:
44 >> > 1. (Possible) limitations of rdiff-backup with regard to untrusted
45 >> > backup servers or clients.
46 >>
47 >> The limitation is real unfortunately.  All backups created by
48 >> rdiff-backup more than a second ago can be deleted something like
49 >> this:
50 >>
51 >> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 1s backup@12.34.56.78::/path/to/backup
52 >>
53 >> > 2. The purely technical question which file transfer protocols protect
54 >> > against write access from backup server to backup client and backup
55 >> > client to older backups on the server.
56 >>
57 >> rdiff-backup doesn't provide those sort of protections.  Do any file
58 >> transfer protocols?
59 >>
60 >> > 3. The more or less organisational question what level of protection
61 >> > backups need and how fast security breaks have to be detected.
62 >>
63 >> I think backups should be very well protected and security breaks
64 >> should not have to be immediately detected.
65 >>
66 >> - Grant
69 >> > I think push vs. pull is just a secondary concern with regard to the
70 >> > second question and has practically no relevance to the third one.
71 >> >
72 >> > Regards,
73 >> > Florian Philipp