From: Jonathan Callen <jcallen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: palemoon again: USE=system-libs
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 05:05:23
1 On 01/14/2017 03:06 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 01/14/2017 09:24 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 >> Looking at the ebuild, one gets the impression that setting this USE
4 >> flag should result in linking with (at least) the system libjpeg, zlib,
5 >> libbz2, libpng, sqlite, and cairo. Which should be at least a little
6 >> bit more secure, from my POV, than having all that code embedded and not
7 >> necessarily getting updated for CVEs in those libraries.
8 >>
9 >> But a trivial ldd check after installation shows that no such thing
10 >> actually happens. WTH??
11 >>
12 >> Do I really have to dive into Mozilla build system? :-(
13 >
14 > Try lsof at runtime. It might be loading the libraries at runtime:
15 >
16 > $ lsof | grep <process name>
17 >
18 > or:
19 >
20 > $ lsof -p <process id>
24 Assuming that nothing about this has changed since they forked from
25 Firefox, you are checking the ldd(1) output on the wrong file. The main
26 executable does a dlopen(3) on a file named "libxul.so" (Firefox has it
27 in /usr/lib64/firefox, so wherever palemoon keeps its main install
28 directory), which then has the normal linkage against the system libraries.
31 Jonathan Callen