From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel linux-4.12.5-gentoo & virtualbox-modules-5.0.40
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 19:02:59
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Helmut Jarausch:
3 >
4 >>I'm running linux-4.12.7-gentoo with Virtualbox
5 >>BUT you need app-emulation/virtualbox and Co in version 5.1.26
6 >
7 > Hm. My Gentoo is mostly stable. That would mean to add virtualbox to the
8 > unstable part. Hm.
11 On Gentoo I have found it fairly normal to switch to unstable (or
12 unkeyworded) packages to fix issues.
13
14 I don't want to change the subject too much, but I've fond QEMU a
15 decent replacement for VirtualBox. It takes some set up at first but
16 is fairly rewarding and easy to manage. I don't suggest using libvirt
17 on Gentoo, but some people do. The main difference with not using
18 libvirt, besides managing QEMU flags and VM startup yourself, is that
19 spice doesn't work (the non-libvirt spice viewer has longstanding
20 bugs, namely a particularly annoying one related to being unable to
21 exit out of fullscreen mode). Depending on your usecase setting up
22 remote access from within the OS of your VM might give you a better
23 experience - you might even try that if you continue using VirtualBox.
24
25 R0b0t1.