From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel linux-4.12.5-gentoo & virtualbox-modules-5.0.40
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 19:10:45
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Helmut Jarausch:
4 >>
5 >>>I'm running linux-4.12.7-gentoo with Virtualbox
6 >>>BUT you need app-emulation/virtualbox and Co in version 5.1.26
7 >>
8 >> Hm. My Gentoo is mostly stable. That would mean to add virtualbox to the
9 >> unstable part. Hm.
12 > On Gentoo I have found it fairly normal to switch to unstable (or
13 > unkeyworded) packages to fix issues.
14 >
15 > I don't want to change the subject too much, but I've fond QEMU a
16 > decent replacement for VirtualBox. It takes some set up at first but
17 > is fairly rewarding and easy to manage. I don't suggest using libvirt
18 > on Gentoo, but some people do. The main difference with not using
19 > libvirt, besides managing QEMU flags and VM startup yourself, is that
20 > spice doesn't work (the non-libvirt spice viewer has longstanding
21 > bugs, namely a particularly annoying one related to being unable to
22 > exit out of fullscreen mode). Depending on your usecase setting up
23 > remote access from within the OS of your VM might give you a better
24 > experience - you might even try that if you continue using VirtualBox.
27 Another option is KVM. I do suggest using libvirt, and found that
28 app-emulation/virt-manager gives you a lot of the benefits of
29 something with a pretty GUI like Virtualbox, but it is 100% FOSS
30 underneath and you can run it all from the command line too. It is
31 just a front-end to libvirt. There are no issues with running these
32 VMs as services also, and I believe that you can connect to their
33 consoles at any time with virt-manager.
34
35 I can't really compare it in detail to qemu as I've barely used the
36 latter, and mainly for emulation. Honestly, I rarely even use KVM
37 these days as I've almost entirely moved to containers.
40 Rich