From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel linux-4.12.5-gentoo & virtualbox-modules-5.0.40
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 20:08:34
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Helmut Jarausch:
5 >>>
6 >>>>I'm running linux-4.12.7-gentoo with Virtualbox
7 >>>>BUT you need app-emulation/virtualbox and Co in version 5.1.26
8 >>>
9 >>> Hm. My Gentoo is mostly stable. That would mean to add virtualbox to the
10 >>> unstable part. Hm.
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> On Gentoo I have found it fairly normal to switch to unstable (or
14 >> unkeyworded) packages to fix issues.
15 >>
16 >> I don't want to change the subject too much, but I've fond QEMU a
17 >> decent replacement for VirtualBox. It takes some set up at first but
18 >> is fairly rewarding and easy to manage. I don't suggest using libvirt
19 >> on Gentoo, but some people do. The main difference with not using
20 >> libvirt, besides managing QEMU flags and VM startup yourself, is that
21 >> spice doesn't work (the non-libvirt spice viewer has longstanding
22 >> bugs, namely a particularly annoying one related to being unable to
23 >> exit out of fullscreen mode). Depending on your usecase setting up
24 >> remote access from within the OS of your VM might give you a better
25 >> experience - you might even try that if you continue using VirtualBox.
28 > Another option is KVM.
29
30 I'd like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as KVM,
31 is, in fact, QEMU/KVM, or as I've recently taken to calling it, QEMU
32 plus KVM. KVM is not a virtualization solution unto itself, but rather
33 another free component of a fully functioning FOSS virtualization
34 system made useful by a hypervisor, interface, and device emulation
35 components comprising a full virtualization system as defined by
36 nobody.[1]
37
38 Admittedly I referred to only QEMU above.
39
40 > I do suggest using libvirt, and found that
41 > app-emulation/virt-manager gives you a lot of the benefits of
42 > something with a pretty GUI like Virtualbox, but it is 100% FOSS
43 > underneath and you can run it all from the command line too. It is
44 > just a front-end to libvirt. There are no issues with running these
45 > VMs as services also, and I believe that you can connect to their
46 > consoles at any time with virt-manager.
49 My only issue is that when I used libvirt I had to edit the produced
50 configurations by hand, and the settings wouldn't always take. Certain
51 hardware configurations were also hard to set up.
52
53 However, should everything work it is very nice, and can do things
54 like start your VMs on boot and create tap devices on demand, etc.
55
56 R0b0t1.
59 [1] https://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html