From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel linux-4.12.5-gentoo & virtualbox-modules-5.0.40
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 20:14:30
1 On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 4:08 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I do suggest using libvirt, and found that
5 >> app-emulation/virt-manager gives you a lot of the benefits of
6 >> something with a pretty GUI like Virtualbox, but it is 100% FOSS
7 >> underneath and you can run it all from the command line too. It is
8 >> just a front-end to libvirt. There are no issues with running these
9 >> VMs as services also, and I believe that you can connect to their
10 >> consoles at any time with virt-manager.
13 > My only issue is that when I used libvirt I had to edit the produced
14 > configurations by hand, and the settings wouldn't always take. Certain
15 > hardware configurations were also hard to set up.
18 This is why I use virt-manager. Granted, like most GUI tools there
19 are probably some settings you can only get at in the config files,
20 but it seems at least as capable as Virtualbox. You can always
21 hand-edit configs but you probably won't bother.
22
23 > However, should everything work it is very nice, and can do things
24 > like start your VMs on boot and create tap devices on demand, etc.
27 And that is what I like about it. Since virt-manager is just a GUI on
28 top of libvirt you can set up VMs and edit them with the GUI, but
29 still do all this kind of stuff from the command line when you want
30 to, or from a service/etc.
31
32 And if you use systemd I'm pretty sure there are units for all of that
33 stuff, and it interacts with machinectl, but that is just an
34 integration and you don't need systemd to use libvirt. Systemd itself
35 is mostly just a front-end to libvirt when doing this stuff, and that
36 is the power behind the concept - one API for a bunch of tools.
39 Rich