From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: runlevels and service list
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:20:37
1 On Sunday 20 September 2009 14:50:02 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 15:40 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > On 09/20/2009 03:34 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
4 > > > Is there a "reference" list of what services should be started in which
5 > > > runlevels? I am interested in hald and dbus in particular.
6 > > >
7 > > > Googling shows mostly people set them to the default runlevel, but I
8 > > > would like a reference or reason ...
9 > >
10 > > The reason is that they are used by X, and since X is in the default
11 > > runlevel, hal and dbus go there too.
12 >
13 > Lots of other things use them as well - not just X, so thats not a
14 > reason (and lots of systems that dont have X but need dbus and hal). I
15 > would like to know why they are started in the default run-level, not at
16 > boot which seems more reasonable for low level hardware support.
17
18 It comes down to personal preference. Any service in the boot runlevel will
19 always be started, unlike default or other runlevels which can be run or not
20 run by user choice. There's no good reason to mandate that dbus and hal will
21 *always* run.
22
23 Normally, nothing in the boot runlevel uses hal or dbus as these are userspace
24 daemons used by apps that run when the system is up in its normal state. The
25 primary consumer of dbus is of course the desktop. When the system is in
26 single user mode for maintenance, dbus and hal will not normally be required.
27
28 If it makes you feel better, start dbus and hal in the boot runlevel by all
29 means. They are normally in default because everything that uses them is in
30 default.
31
32 Like I said earlier, there is no good, sane, all-encompassing reason to have
33 or not have them in boot. They are not there by default because the maintainer
34 probably saw no good reason to do so, and for no other reason.
37 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com