From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: runlevels and service list
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:50:12
1 On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 15:40 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/20/2009 03:34 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > Is there a "reference" list of what services should be started in which
4 > > runlevels? I am interested in hald and dbus in particular.
5 > >
6 > > Googling shows mostly people set them to the default runlevel, but I
7 > > would like a reference or reason ...
8 >
9 > The reason is that they are used by X, and since X is in the default
10 > runlevel, hal and dbus go there too.
14 Lots of other things use them as well - not just X, so thats not a
15 reason (and lots of systems that dont have X but need dbus and hal). I
16 would like to know why they are started in the default run-level, not at
17 boot which seems more reasonable for low level hardware support.
18
19 BillK