From: Mat Harris <mat.harris@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] seg fault emerging abiword
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:15:33
1 On Wednesday 30 May 2007 19:26, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 30 May 2007 21:16:18 Mat Harris wrote:
3 > > > Don't use --nodeps. That would just make a mess out of [your] system.
4 > > > If you've installed split kde (kde-meta) then why are you trying to
5 > > > install monolithic kde packages? I.e. why are you trying to install
6 > > > kdebase rather than kdebase-meta and kdepim rather than kdepim-meta?
7 > > > And why are you installing either of those at all when they have
8 > > > already been pulled in by kde-meta?
9 > > >
10 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml
11 > >
12 > > Aah ok well the howto i found on google didn't mention anything about
13 > > using meta packages for the apps once i had the base installed. This
14 > > could explain why I have spent the last week compiling stuff for kde ;)
15 >
16 > Well, you only need meta packages if you want to install everything that
17 > ships together upstream. You could just emerge the split packages you want
18 > such as e.g. konqueror, kcontrol, etc..
19 >
20 > > Ok i'll probably re-install unless there's some easy way to clean up.
21 >
22 > There certainly is an easier way than reinstalling for this issue. What
23 > you've posted thus far actually suggests that you haven't made a mess out
24 > of your system yet as it showed kdepim and kdebase as not yet installed. In
25 > that case you just need to stop trying to install monolithic packages.
26
27 I have stopped as soon as I read that last email :)
28
29 > Otherwise you need to unmerge the monolithic packages you've installed
30 > with --nodeps and remerge the split packages that they've overwritten. Code
31 > Listing 3.1 in the above document shows you how to get the name of the
32 > packages any monolithic package would overwrite.
33
34 I am don't seem to have installed many monlithic packages, mainly just trying
35 to do kdepim, i did have kdegames but i've got rid of that.
36
37 So from now on I should always install a package with "-meta" if its from kde
38 (providing one is available eg. kdevelop)?
39
40 > E.g. if you've emerged kdebase-meta and kdebase at the same time and you
41 > want to stick with split packages you can do this:
42 >
43 > # emerge -Cva kdebase
44 > # function die() { echo $@; }
45 > # source $(portageq portdir)/eclass/kde-functions.eclass
46 > # emerge --oneshot -va $(get-child-packages kde-base/kdebase)
47
48 I don't have kdebase, just kdebase-meta. But i've spent a while compiling kde
49 stuff. I will keep checking for others.
50
51 Thanks
52
53 Mat Harris