From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean wants to remove all perl?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:36:43
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 31/07/2014 10:12, Dale wrote:
3 >> Mick wrote:
4 >>> On Thursday 31 Jul 2014 06:14:56 J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> I always check the list from depclean to see if there is any package and/or
7 >>>> version that I am actually using. If yes, I add it to the world file.
8 >>>> (Emerge --noreplace)
9 >>> I don't add packages to my world file, let alone specific versions, unless I
10 >>> want them to be there. I let portage manage versions and dependencies.
11 >> If you don't add anything to your world file, how do you keep anything
12 >> installed and updated? Unless you just use sets, which is basically the
13 >> same thing as putting a package in world, then it should be in the world
14 >> file.
15 >>
16 >> There are times when versions are required tho. I know I do that for my
17 >> kernel. I always keep my current kernel and my backup kernel version at
18 >> least. Every once in a while, I go through and clean them manually.
19 >>
20 >> For some people, there may be other packages that need to be done that
21 >> way. One of those "your mileage may vary" type things. ;-)
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 >> :-) :-)
29 > I think Mick means more that he doesn't like adding libs and modules and
30 > plugins to world, and doesn't mean the actual apps.
31 >
32 > So he would add a music player to world, and let portage plus USE figure
33 > out which of the 500 odd bits of gstreamer to pull in and install
38 Ahhh. OK. I was curious because when something is installed, it has to
39 be recorded somewhere for it to get updated etc. Running emerge
40 --depclean would be interesting too.
41
42 Thanks for kicking me into gear. ;-)
43