From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean wants to remove all perl?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:20:43
1 On 31/07/2014 10:12, Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> On Thursday 31 Jul 2014 06:14:56 J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> I always check the list from depclean to see if there is any package and/or
6 >>> version that I am actually using. If yes, I add it to the world file.
7 >>> (Emerge --noreplace)
8 >> I don't add packages to my world file, let alone specific versions, unless I
9 >> want them to be there. I let portage manage versions and dependencies.
10 >
11 > If you don't add anything to your world file, how do you keep anything
12 > installed and updated? Unless you just use sets, which is basically the
13 > same thing as putting a package in world, then it should be in the world
14 > file.
15 >
16 > There are times when versions are required tho. I know I do that for my
17 > kernel. I always keep my current kernel and my backup kernel version at
18 > least. Every once in a while, I go through and clean them manually.
19 >
20 > For some people, there may be other packages that need to be done that
21 > way. One of those "your mileage may vary" type things. ;-)
22 >
23 > Dale
24 >
30 I think Mick means more that he doesn't like adding libs and modules and
31 plugins to world, and doesn't mean the actual apps.
32
33 So he would add a music player to world, and let portage plus USE figure
34 out which of the 500 odd bits of gstreamer to pull in and install
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com