From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean wants to remove all perl?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:12:14
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 31 Jul 2014 06:14:56 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 >> I always check the list from depclean to see if there is any package and/or
5 >> version that I am actually using. If yes, I add it to the world file.
6 >> (Emerge --noreplace)
7 > I don't add packages to my world file, let alone specific versions, unless I
8 > want them to be there. I let portage manage versions and dependencies.
9
10 If you don't add anything to your world file, how do you keep anything
11 installed and updated? Unless you just use sets, which is basically the
12 same thing as putting a package in world, then it should be in the world
13 file.
14
15 There are times when versions are required tho. I know I do that for my
16 kernel. I always keep my current kernel and my backup kernel version at
17 least. Every once in a while, I go through and clean them manually.
18
19 For some people, there may be other packages that need to be done that
20 way. One of those "your mileage may vary" type things. ;-)
21
22 Dale
23