From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 without udev/eudev
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:38:09
1 On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 6:18 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 [...]
3
4 > What you're missing, is that this code IS NOT USED.
5 >
6 > The OP wants to delete a load of code from his system precisely to
7 > ELIMINATE vulnerabilities. If the code ain't there, it don't need fixing.
10 Where do you get that impression from? The OP needs handling keyboard and
11 mouse (as per his first email), and to do that in Linux these days, you
12 basically need udev, because xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard are
13 going the way of the dodo.
14
15 Where does the "ELIMINATE vulnerabilities" come from? The OP is just
16 complaining that to use keyboard and mouse, now he needs udev.
17
18 My point is that it's not his call; it's the call of the developers of the
19 software that he decided to use.
22 > Yes I take your point, but bloat is bloat, and bloat is a liability.
25 There is no bloat; the developers *need* to handle the dynamic hardware
26 case *and* the static hardware case. With udev, they handle both; otherwise
27 there would be two code routes: one for static and another for dynamic
28 hardware.
29
30 THAT would be bloat; using udev solves all the cases and bloat is averted.
31 Is exactly the contrary of what you are saying.
32
33 Regards.
34 --
35 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés