From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm problem -- is timing?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 23:51:36
1 > So you should really put device-mapper into the boot runlevel. And btw, why
2 > do
3 > compile things as modules which you need in any case? Doesn't make sense to
4 > me.
7 I put device-mapper into the boot runlevel. I re-compiled the kernel
8 with dm-mod=<*>, dm_crypt=<*>, mmc_block=<*> and rebooted.
9
10 No change.
11
12 Near the start of boot messages this appears:
13
14 *Setting up the Logical Volume Manager
15 Locking type 1 initilisation failed.
16
17 There follows a couple of screenfuls of self-abuse then
18
19 *ERROR: lvm failed to start.
20
21 Followed by fsck.ext2 complaining it can't read the volumes,
22 naturally, since they're are'nt mounted.
23
24 a screenful or two of this then
25
26 * Some local filesystems failed to mount
27
28 La di da
29
30 Then
31
32 *Configuring kernel parameters...
33
34 Finally the volumes are found and mounted and the login appears. All
35 seems normal except that under /etc/init.d depscan.sh and
36 runscript.sh are flashing white on red indicating that they now point
37 to nothing. And whatever else I haven't spotted yet.
38
39 mw