From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Any thoughts on Intel Skylake SGX?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:05:26
1 On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 04:28:03PM -0800, Max R.D. Parmer wrote:
2
3 > It seems like SGX is intertwined with the Intel Management Engine,
4 > Chapter 4 in Joanna Rutkowska's "Intel x86 considered harmful"[1] (pp.
5 > 35) goes in-depth on the potential issues with Intel ME.
6 >
7 > That same book has some light discussion on SGX (pp. 20) but it seems
8 > like, if you are concerned about ME eavesdropping, SGX wouldn't stop
9 > that (at least as of October 2015).
10
11 Well my concern was more that SGX would provide leverage for even more
12 eavesdropping, rather than prohibit it.
13
14 > If you are feeling paranoid but want an Intel chip, I would recommend
15 > you choose the pre-vPro/AMT systems (sandybridge or earlier, iirc).
16
17 I was going to stay clear of vPro in any case. I would try an AMD laptop (a
18 few years back, the el-cheapo Thinkpad x100-series had an AMD version), but
19 there are hardly any options nowadays. :-/
20
21 > [1]: http://blog.invisiblethings.org/papers/2015/x86_harmful.pdf
22
23 Thanks for the link, I'll have a read.
24