From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:18:16
1 On 1/17/2011 8:42 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 >
3 > No swap contains pages from memory that have not been accessed for
4 > awhile so they can be stored elsewhere freeing ram for actual active
5 > pages. When they need to be accessed, they have to be swapped back in,
6 > and often something swapped back out to make room for it.
7 >
8 > And for those with gigabytes of swap, keep in mind that the majority of
9 > processors can only access up to 32 x 2G swapfiles under linux, so 4G is
10 > only going to be half used. Some processors are only able to handle
11 > very small swapfiles, whilst amd opterons can handle very large ones.
12 >
13 > It does appear however that some distros (redhat and suse ?) have
14 > modified something to allow larger swap sizes on 64bit systems, but via
15 > google it seems very muddy at the moment.
16 >
17 > On my mostly 32bit systems its only the opterons (which are running
18 > 64bit systems) that can access more than 2G swap using gentoo-sources
19 > kernels when I tested late last year.
20 >
21 > BillK
22
23 On a 32bit x86 Linux OS your swap file or swap partitions can have a
24 max size of 2GB. If you're using a kernel later than 2.4.10 you can have
25 32 swap device and previous to that it was 8. With a 64bit Linux OS you
26 can have swap devices of 64GB each.
27
28 kashani