From: Heinz Sporn <heinz.sporn@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Accessing Linux filesystems from Windows with Crossmeta
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 06:49:25
1 Noone's interested in this? Are you kidding me? ;-)
2
3 Well, in the end I got this thing running and I now have read and
4 *write* access to an XFS partition from Windows.
5
6 If someone else want's to give it a try I have a couple of suggestions:
7
8 1. After installing the core server and the add-on filesystems reboot
9 your machine anyway.
10
11 2. The cxvfs services will not be loaded automatically afterwards -
12 which is good because it allows you to make a copy of the rootfs.img
13 file created during the installation process. Why? Because I had faced a
14 couple of blue screens during the test phase when trying to restart
15 cxvfs services and unmounting partitions. Not hard reproducable though.
16 After such a failure the cxvfs server wants you to fschk rootfs.img
17 which simply does not work somehow. Does not matter - rootfs.img is just
18 an entry point to your actual Linux partition.
19
20 3. To mount your stuff use a script like this:
21 @echo off
22
23 if exist v:\ goto :DONE
24
25 e:
26 cd \programme\crossmeta
27
28 copy /y rootfs.img.org rootfs.img
29
30 net start cxvfsmgr
31 net start xfs
32 set path=%path%;e:\programme\crossmeta\v-drive\bin
33 mount -a
34 mount -t xfs -o ro /dev/da0s3 /mnt
35
36 :DONE
37
38 Where E: is the drive where Windows resides, rootfs.img.org is a virgin
39 rootfs.img as mentioned in 2., /dev/da0s3 is my /dev/hda4 and finally e:
40 \programme\crossmeta\v-drive is a copy of the content of V:\ - i.e. the
41 virtual drive that cxvfs creates when loaded.
42
43 Stabilitiy?
44 I neither do need the write capability nor the NFS server emulation. I
45 only tested write access once - which worked - but can't say anything
46 about reliablility. What I do is mounting foreign partitions on demand,
47 retrieving data I need and leaving them mounted until I shut down
48 Windows. For that crossmeta didn't give me any headaches yet.
49
50 Have fun!
51