From: Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Binary chrome - is it safe in terms of dependencies?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 18:07:16
1 On 30/01/13 at 11:09pm, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > Since Gentoo updates libraries very quickly, I'm wondering if it is
3 > safe to use the binary version? Has anyone faced library breakages on
4 > this?
5 >
6 > Chromium is easily recompiled with new libraries and you don't have a
7 > broken browser, which won't really be the case with the binary
8 > version.
9
10 I've used the binary version (google-chrome) for a while and never
11 had any breakages. I guess if there's a library update that could
12 potentially break google-chrome the gentoo devs would add a blocker so
13 you wont be able to install the 2 at the same time.
14
15 I have since migrated to chromium (on account of getting a more
16 powerful processor). The chromium compile took a hell of a long time on
17 my old dual core. Even on my fx8150 it still takes about an hour.
22 - Yohan Pereira
23
24 The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
25 between a mermaid and a seal.
26 -- Mark Twain