From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 22:59:57
1 On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Edward M <martinezedward228@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> And if the motherboard is somehow shorting out inside the case
6 >>> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307187-30-motherboard-shorting-case
7 >>
8 >> I completely forget that I had this happen once. The case design was
9 >> such that part of the motherboard contacted metal of the case. When I
10 >> tried to turn on, it would short and fail to boot up. I had to get a
11 >> piece of sticky film and made a layer on the case in the area where it
12 >> was touching. After doing that it worked fine.
13 >
14 > Cases usually ship with standoffs to prevent that kind of thing. The
15 > standoffs look like screws with screwholes in them, and a hexagonal
16 > shaft you can manage with your fingers, a socket wrench or
17 > (non-needlenose) pliers.
18
19 In my case (no pun intended) it was shorting even with the standoffs
20 because of the way a cut-out in the metal under the motherboard had
21 rolled edges that curled up toward the motherboard. It was a known
22 defective-by-design situation and later revisions of the case solved
23 the problem. :) I think it was a Thermaltake case if I remember
24 correctly.