From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ROM does not play audio CD's
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:06:14
1 On 27 Jun 2008, at 10:57, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On 27 Jun 2008, at 10:25, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Thursday 26 June 2008, Joerg Schilling wrote:
6 >>>>> A more general problem is the license incompatibility with
7 >>>>> libcdio.
8 >>>>> Sun dropped libcdio already a year ago after Sun lawyers detected
9 >>>>> the
10 >>>>> problem and I expect that Linux distros will do the same soon.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Could you elaborate a little on what the license incompatibility
13 >>>> is?
14 >>>
15 >>> First, libcdio had an illegal license change...
16 >>
17 >> Since you now appear to be answering license questions, could I
18 >> trouble you, please, to address this query?
19 >>
20 >> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/200045
21 >
22 > If you like to have a serious answer, do not include pointers to
23 > nonserious
24 > articles like this one:
25 >
26 > http://lwn.net/Articles/195167/
27
28 Sorry, Joerg.
29
30 I only included that article because it came up when I searched for
31 "cdrecord" license problem.
32
33 Perhaps you could overlook my ignorance just this once and explain
34 why you chose to migrate your software from the GPL to the CDDL
35 (or to a CDDL-alike license).
36
37 To a naive reader, with only that article to go on, it does seem to
38 be that action of yours which instigated distros dropping your
39 software for the alternative. I'm sure, as you say, this was
40 unjustified on their part, however some background on your choice
41 might be helpful.
42
43 Stroller.
46 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list