From: Rumen Yotov <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with kmail
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 05:14:35
1 On (02/01/06 17:31), brettholcomb@×××××××××.net wrote:
2 > Ernie, are you doing anything special here? I'm running KDE and simply went into the accounts and set up my pop server (mail.bellsouth.net) and it works. Same for T-bird. BTW, look at Korn for a newsreader .
5 > > From: schroder@×××××.net
6 > > Date: 2006/01/02 Mon PM 05:22:55 EST
7 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] need help with kmail
9 > >
10 > > On Monday 02 January 2006 11:53, a tiny voice compelled Rumen Yotov to write:
11 > >
12 > > > Hi,
13 > > > Not very much help, but it seems you're using a postfix server to process
14 > > > to mail.
15 > >
16 > > I've got no idea how to set up postfix. If I'm going to use it, I'll need a
17 > > howto or some pointers. I only installed postfix to try to get kmail working.
18 > > In order to run kmail or thunderbird, what MTA should I be using? I obviously
19 > > blew off something when I did a depclean and I'm lost at this point as to what
20 > > I need to get email sending working again.I have a mepis CD here. I'm thinking
21 > > I should boot to that and see what I can figure out. does anyone have
22 > > suggestions as to what I should be looking for?
23 > >
24 > > I've looked at qmail, it seems postfix blocks it. I suppose I won't be any worse
25 > > off without postfix. I'll read up on qmail and see if it will serve my purpose
26 > > for the short term, but I REALLY want to get kmail working. I'm becomming
27 > > obsessed, perturbed and frustrated.
28 > > --
29 > > Regards, Ernie
30 > > 100% Microsoft and Intel free
31 > > --
32 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
36 > --
37 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
38 >
39 Hi,
40 You don't need 'postfix' (nor 'qmail') to send mail using your ISP's mail-servers.
41 So check (and change if need be) the settings in Kmail&TB to use your ISP mail-server.
42 Currenly you must be using the local postfix server to process the mail and as it's not
43 configured it breaks. Usually it's something like: mail.ISP-name-here.com
44 Check again username & password for the server. Unmerge 'postfix' - not needed.
45 HTH.Rumen