From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unmerge emacs
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 08:07:59
1 Ah, the "profile" threw me. I was thinking profiles and not the emerge
2 system I had done originally.
3
4 I use nano so I guess I can unmerge it safely. But I'm still at a loss
5 why the warning should come up. Emacs is not listed in base/packages
6 nor linux-default/packages nor x86/packages and finally not in
7 2005.0/packages. I am correct in thinking these constitute "system,"
8 right. It also is not in my make.conf nor is it pulled in by any other
9 package (emerge info does not list it as a USE flag).
10
11 Tony
12
13 Willie Wong wrote:
14
15 >emacs provides virtual/editor
16 >
17 >The system profile is a set of programs that is necessary for your
18 >computer to boot and build other programs. One of this things you need
19 >to do to boot a computer is to edit the configuration files in /etc,
20 >for that you need an editor. The system profile (you can see what it
21 >brings in by "emerge --emptytree --pretend system") requires something
22 >that satisfies virtual/editor, and by default I think gentoo uses
23 >nano. If you have another editor, like nano, or vim, or pico, then you
24 >should be fine to unmerge emacs.
25 >
26 >W
27 >