From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is this a bug in firefox-36.0?
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 07:26:32
1 Am Wed, 18 Mar 2015 16:41:25 -0700
2 schrieb walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
3
4 [...]
5 > FF will not even show me the secure att.com webpage. I get an entire html page
6 > with this (very big) error message:
7 >
8 > Secure Connection Failed
9 >
10 > An error occurred during a connection to www.att.com. The OCSP server experienced
11 > an internal error. (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_server_error)
12 >
13 > The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the
14 > received data could not be verified.
15 >
16 > Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
19 > Am I the only one seeing this error message on firefox? I'll try compiling the
20 > gentoo version to see if the behavior is different.
21
22 OCSP has nothing to do with AT&T, it is a security feature that is supposed to
23 help verify the authenticity of certificates. From what I've read on tech
24 news sites, it has fallen out of favor precisely due to issues like this
25 (Chrome has deactivated it, for example). See
26 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_Certificate_Status_Protocol; also see
27 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Public_Key_Pinning for one (the?)
28 replacement.
29
30 (Note that I am speaking as a user, so feel free to clarify if I'm not being
31 100% correct.)
32
33 As to how to work around it, perhaps it makes sense to turn the feature off?
34
35 HTH
36 --
37 Marc Joliet
38 --
39 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
40 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup