From: Yohan Pereira <yohan.pereira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I've got an ARM SoC board - now what dir's to put on the SSD
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 20:24:59
1 On 15/07/13 at 02:38am, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I've bought one of the ARM based Cubieboards which I intend to use as a
4 > media server. I've got Gentoo running on it but would now like to push
5 > system "stuff" across from the SD card to the SSD drive - you can't boot
6 > from the actual SSD you need to do that from an SD card. This way it
7 > should be a bit quicker and I won't run out of SD card space as the
8 > system is updated. Can anyone point me to a webpage that has
9 > recommendations or has actual experience as to what I can shift across?
10 > I'm guessing /usr/portage/* would be the one to go across?
11 >
12 > Regards,
13 > Andrew
14
15 How about moving the entire / to the sd card and leaving just the
16 boot-loader and the kernel on the sdcard ?
17
18 OT:
19 When I was playing around with my raspberry pi I took a similar
20 approach but / was mounted over nfs. That way I could make changes
21 easily, that is until I got frustrated enough trying to get xmbc to work
22 and threw it all away and installed openelec :).
26 - Yohan Pereira
27
28 The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference
29 between a mermaid and a seal.
30 -- Mark Twain