From: Franz Fellner <alpine.art.de@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Southbridge chip on laptop overheating
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 05:57:03
1 James wrote:
2 > Daniel Frey <djqfrey <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > Hi all,
5 >
6 > > I am curious though, what causes this chip to overheat, and can I do
7 > > something about it?
8 >
9 > There may be a generic processor fan you can mount/glue onto the chip
10 > for cooling. Make sure all other fans are running. Blow out the laptop
11 > with an air compressor.
12
13 If you really blow out your laptop make sure the fans are fixed. If they
14 start turning while you blow into them they really can destroy your hardware.
15 Induction can be really bad ;)
16
17 > Sometime to add more cooling, I'd get a couple of
18 > pieces of 1/2" x 1/2" wood and place under the laptop to increase the air
19 > space under the laptop for increase air circulation.
20 >
21 > HAVIT® HV-F2056 15.6"-17" Laptop Cooler - Three Quiet 110mm Fans at 1,000RPM,
22 >
23 > Last, I think some folks make a "cooling pad" for laptops. If you have
24 > agressive compile options (like mine MAKEOPTS="-j9 -l9") in your
25 > make.conf, slow them way down (-j1) etc.
28 > > I'm using lm_sensors, which doesn't provide a temperature for this
29 > > particular chip. I've monitored processes and nothing really stands out.
30 > > I've even tried disabling plasma, no luck.
33 > hth,
34 > James