From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to IPSEC "M$oft" VPN client setup
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 21:08:37
1 On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Michael Higgins wrote:
2 > On Tue, 19 May 2009 13:57:21 -0500
3 >
4 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Based on a brief googling I didn't see anyone who has a working
6 > > connection to a Checkpoint VPN.
7 >
8 > Thanks, Paul. I've already the "solution", as I'm not so much trying to get
9 > something accomplished (access machines "inside" which I can do just fine
10 > with SSH tunnel), as to figure out why we have these various, related, open
11 > source software packages available but no basic client-to-corporate
12 > "real-world" implementations specifically outlined for the Gentoo community
13 > -- that I can find. :(
14 >
15 > Just a definitive answer to "which Gentoo packages and USE flags to I need
16 > to emerge so to do this"? .. would be a HUGE help (as weeks later I *still*
17 > don't know for sure). And if 60%+ of the folks following it got lucky with
18 > cut-n-paste from a how-to, then... great!
19 >
20 > Say if all the related items were configured, tested and ultimately failed,
21 > if documented publicly it'd at the least serve as a good template for
22 > anyone else trying to troubleshoot a VPN connection when using Gentoo on a
23 > client machine.
24 >
25 > Or, should I instead, just go outside and play? I thought someone else here
26 > had hoped to make something like this work... ;-)
27
28 I very much share your frustration. On and off (OK, mostly off) I have been
29 trying to get a VPN connection to my router going, and have tried vnpc, kvpn
30 and racoon all of which failed. Meanwhile, a friend tried the shrew VPN
31 client and succeeded after a couple of hours of tweaking his Vista box!
32 Arrrgh!
33
34 I assume that I have all the right components installed (judging from the wiki
35 pages) but I am not sure about my configuration. Unlike your set up which
36 seems to be almost there, mine won't even complete stage 1 handshake. Very,
37 very, very frustrating ...
38
39 Sorry that I can't be of much help with this. :(
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick