From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xmltv to MySQL ???
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 01:04:47
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> [10-10-31 02:26]:
2 >
3 > On 30 Oct 10, at 6:25pm, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > ...
5 > > I am looking for a tool to simply put the contents of xmltv-files into
6 > > a MySQL database.
7 > > I googled a lot this day and found some tools but some does not use
8 > > MySQL (for example one uses Postgresql) other have started a project
9 > > but do not release any code. And lot tools are part of very very big
10 > > packages and cannot be cut out of them in a simple way.
11 > >
12 > > I only want a xmltv-reader which feeds the data into MySQL. Everything
13 > > else is done elsewhere...
14 >
15 > I think the best answer to this is "MythTV".
16 >
17 > A week ago you asked about waking your computer up at certain times to record TV.
18 >
19 > Earlier today you were asking for something to schedule recordings. I would have replied then and suggested MythTV or atd, but you'd already had a reply you were happy with by the time I saw it.
20 >
21 > Now you're trying to fix another problem which has already been solved by MythTV.
22 >
23 > What are you going to do when you find that shows are running late and the bash script you've bodged together cuts off the last 5 minutes of Inspector Morse? You will never know whodunnit!! MythTV automatically pads the program by a few minutes, except when this would clash with another program.
24 >
25 > MythTV has thousands of lines of code already written to solve the problems associated with recording and watching TV on a computer. All the stuff you've asked for already, MythTV started addressing years ago.
26 >
27 > Will your script be able to record two shows at once, using a single tuner? MythTV can.
28 >
29 > I understand where you're coming from, wanting to do this yourself, but I think you're going to be continually wanting to add features to your solution.
30 >
31 > Having said that, I think you could probably use Perl. I think there is an xmltv module in CPAN, and you'll find about a zillion articles on the web about using Perl to shove stuff into databases.
32 > http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/xmltv/
33 > Is there any reason your database has to be MySQL, rather than, say, SQLite?
34 >
35 > Stroller.
39 Hi Stroller,
40
41 thank you for your help and answer.
44 May be your right: Why doing anything myself ?!
45
46 I want to use MySQL since it is already installed and used and dont
47 want to have n different databases programs for n different
48 applications which basically do all the same: gathering data...
49
50 Best regards and thank you again!
51 mcc