From: Benjamin Martin <outrage@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:05:14
1 On Wednesday 16 November 2005 21:47, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > I'm not a developer and I've never done a Stage 1 install so I cannot
3 > say for sure, but it's my understanding that after a Stage 3 install
4 > most people end up rebuilding everything anyway within a few weeks.
5 > Very soon my Stage 3 and your Stage 1 are identical. The Stage 1
6 > allows me to get the machine up and running sooner.
7 >
8 > Just my take on the question.
9 >
10 > Cheers,
11 > Mark
12
13 True that the installations become identical very soon. But what if I set up
14 server using stage 1 and an up-to-date portage tree. After the installation
15 is finished it'll sit around doing whatever it's supposed to do and I don't
16 really touch it except for security related updates.
17 Just an example where stage 1 was a nice option. Taking away such an option
18 doesn't sound all too much like the gentoo way to me.