From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo still on the right path?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:54:33
1 On 11/16/05, Benjamin Martin <outrage@×××.net> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 16 November 2005 21:12, Nick Rout wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:20:36 -0500
4 > >
5 > > Derek Tracy wrote:
6 > > > Part way through the online handbook I noticed that
7 > > > they standardized the Stage3 install. I figured that since the developers
8 > > > thought it was best to use a Stage3 install then why not give it a shot.
9 > >
10 > > I read your message and was surprised at this. Last time I read the
11 > > handbooks the Handbook gave stage 1/2/3 options and the 2005.1 handbook
12 > > stuck to stage 3. (Talking x86 here, I have never done an instal on
13 > > other architectures).
14 > >
15 > > Now, like you, I read this in the Handbook:
16 > >
17 > > "Make sure you download a stage3 tarball - installations using a stage1 or
18 > > stage2 tarball are not supported anymore."
19 >
20 > To be honest, this is the first time i see this. I always did stage 1
21 > installs. Haven't done so in a while that's why I'm a little surprised about
22 > this.
23 > What exactly were the reasons for such a move?
24
25 I'm not a developer and I've never done a Stage 1 install so I cannot
26 say for sure, but it's my understanding that after a Stage 3 install
27 most people end up rebuilding everything anyway within a few weeks.
28 Very soon my Stage 3 and your Stage 1 are identical. The Stage 1
29 allows me to get the machine up and running sooner.
30
31 Just my take on the question.
32
33 Cheers,