From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No beep.
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:24:12
1 Hello, Corbin.
2
3 On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 21:06:56 -0500, Corbin Bird wrote:
4 > On 08/14/2017 01:22 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
5 > > Hello, Gentoo.
6
7 > > I've almost got my new(ish) machine up and running. In particular, I've
8 > > got an email server (s/qmail) running on it, the most difficult part of
9 > > bringing up a new box.
10
11 > > However, during the building, I discovered to my disgust that there was
12 > > no loudspeaker in my new case. So, none of the helpful booting beeps
13 > > that the motherboard uses to tell us that something's wrong. Still, I
14 > > got past that stage.
15
16 > > But just typing into a virtual tty, sometimes the system (should) beep.
17 > > It doesn't. It should.
18
19 > > It should, because I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
20 > > and CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE set to 1.
21
22 > > My loudspeakers are working, as shown by running speaker-test. I'm
23 > > using the kernel I think I am, verified by checking those two config
24 > > settings in /proc/config.gz.
25
26 > > Would somebody please suggest to me where I am going wrong, here?
27
28 > > Thanks!
31 > Apologies, if this is just a stupid question ...
32
33 > Did you purchase / install the old BIOS / Case speaker?
34 > ... yes, that 80's piece of speaker tech :)
35
36 Not as such. I expected the speaker to be part of the case, as it always
37 has been in the past.
38
39 > Newer motherboards and cases don't come with one.
40 > Had to spend ... $3 for a new one.
41 > (U)EFI won't go BEEP! without one.
42
43 You can buy PC case loudspeakers? I'll need to search one out. Ideal
44 would be one which screwed into a disk drive mounting (of which I have
45 rather a lot spare).
46
47 > Corbin
50 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).