From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 16:38:41
1 On 2 March 2011 16:29, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 15:51:54 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> This would typically happen in the middle of an emerge, which was
5 >> >> rather annoying, and/or when updatedb was running.
6 >> >
7 >> > At least you could re-run an aborted emerge; when my box hangs it
8 >> > just stops responding to keyboard and mouse, and the network
9 >> > interface stops receiving packets so I can't ssh in from another box
10 >> > to shut it down neatly. It's BRS time.
11 >>
12 >> No I couldn't.  :-(
13 >>
14 >> The whole system would freeze up, no keyboard, no network, no nothing.
15 >>  I had to pull the plug every time.
16 >
17 > Not even Alt-SysRq? That's a serious lockup.
18
19 Yep, when that box locked up, it didn't do it by half.
22 > You can still resume a merge after a power down, with
23 > ebuild /path/to/ebuild merge.
24
25 I see ... by path you mean /var/tmp/portage/... ?
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick