From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] df command no longer working
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 22:29:26
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 02:37:22PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> As some may recall, I'm bad to fill up a hard drive.  I regularly use df
6 >> -h to see where drives are as far as filling up and such.  Usually, it
7 >> takes only a second or so to list them all.  Speed is one reason I use
8 >> it.  I did my regular updates last weekend and for the past few days, it
9 >> hasn't worked.  I did a re-emerge of coreutils, then some of its
10 >> friends.  It still doesn't work.  When I run df -h, it just sits there.
11 >> It will sit there for hours, doing nothing it seems.  Eventually, I hit
12 >> ctrl c to kill it.
13 >>
14 >> Anyone else running into this?  Any idea as to why it stopped working?
15 >> I can't find anything on BGO.  Searching for only two characters is a
16 >> bit hard tho.  o_O
17 > Sounds a little bit like a hanging NFS share; df goes through all mounts and
18 > tries to access them, but one isn’t responding.
22 This was the one.  I guess I forgot to umount my backup NAS before
23 shutting it down.  Obviously, since the machine is off right now, it
24 wasn't responding.  I did a umount -f on it and now it works again.
25
26 I thought I used df since my last update but wasn't sure.  I thought
27 maybe a update broke a symlink or something, which is why I re-emerged
28 several packages.  Didn't occur to me to check the NAS mount point.
29
30 Thanks to all.  It's working again.  I need to buy more drives again
31 tho.  Getting close to 90% on some and over 90% on backup NAS.  :/
32
33 Dale
34