From: "Beau E. Cox" <beaucox@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Andres Becerra Sandoval <andres.becerra@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Old kernel versions
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:10:51
1 On Wednesday 18 January 2006 11:05 pm, Andres Becerra Sandoval wrote:
2 > On 1/19/06, Beau E. Cox <beaucox@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi -
4 > >
5 > > When a new kernel ( I'm using gentoo-sources ) comes down
6 > > the line, I go to /usr/src, ln -s to linux, copy current
7 > > .config, yada, yada... It works fine.
8 > >
9 > > Now I notice in eix that all my old kernels are marked as
10 > > 'installed'. I normally keep only the previous kernel in
11 > > /boot. Can I safely 'emerge -C' the older kernels w/o
12 > > upsetting my apple cart?
13 > >
14 > > --
15 > > Aloha => Beau;
16 > >
17 > > --
18 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
19 >
20 > Yes, you can clean the old kernel versions, this will free you some space.
21 >
22 > A quick way to do it is:
23 > - back up your .config
24
25 I have the kernel option on that puts the compressed .config file of
26 the running kernel in /proc ( I think that's neat - you always have
27 access to the running .config ).
28
29 > - emerge -C gentoo-sources or whatever-sources (this will clean all
30 > versions) - emerge gentoo-sources (only merges the actual)
31
32 That is an excellent way to go...Thanks, Andrés.
36 > --
37 > Andrés
40 Aloha => Beau;
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list