From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:47:35
1 On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> Every time that a USB device is inserted or removed, an
5 >> "event" is triggered by the kernel. What's required is an "event
6 >> handler" that reacts appropriately to those events. This is usually
7 >> udev, but mdev will also work. I've replaced udev with mdev on my
8 >> machine ( see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev ) and I've implemented
9 >> USB automounting under mdev, using scripts. It works even in text
10 >> console mode. See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
11 >
12 > Walter,
13 >
14 > Thank you. What I'm hearing is:
15 >
16 > 1. There are many ways to get USB automount
17
18 Correct.
19
20 > 2. One way is to install udev and fabricate the correct scripting to
21 > cause the automount to take place
22
23 That it's the "I want to do it by hand" way.
24
25 > 3. By some magic a GUI system such as GNOME, XFCE, TWM, etc will
26 > recognize when (2) happens and show an icon on the desktop [I'm
27 > talking somewhat tongue in cheek WRT TWM]
28
29 That is the automagical™ way.
30
31 > If this is correct, I'd like to know:
32 >
33 > a) what is the scripting I need to fabricate to get (2) to work correctly.
34
35 I you want to do it by hand (which is as useful as trying to drive a
36 car as the Flinstones, i.e., with your own feet), you need to create
37 an udev rule. An old tutorial on that is:
38
39 http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
40
41 It's a little outdated, since from some years ago it has been working
42 "out-of-the-box" in almost all Linux distros, specially if they
43 install and configure udev as intended by its upstream. So the need
44 for users to handle udev rules has been greatly reduced.
45
46 > b) what is the magic by which (3) happens.
47
48 It's not magic; just the modern desktop environments install a program
49 (or programs) that installs udev rules, and that handle things like
50 the pretty icons (or notifications, or whatever). In GNOME 3 case, the
51 program is udisks (version 2), which installs:
52
53 /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-udisks2.rules
54
55 Then it handles everything for you. Please also note that USB stick
56 mounting is just *ONE* of the gazillion things udev (and other parts
57 of the stack) takes care of. For example, in this screenshot:
58
59 https://plus.google.com/115256116066287398549/posts/JX6kRciZ9zA
60
61 I'm configuring Skype to use my bluetooth head set for input/output of
62 sound, while the rest of my system keeps using the desktop sound card.
63 The whole shebang is powered by udev (for detecting the headset as
64 source/sink for audio), bluez (for pairing it), pulseaudio (for
65 switching sound streams on the fly), etc. You can (of course) do all
66 of this by hand, but it gets pretty convoluted after a while.
67
68 Mounting USB sticks is easy; as Philip said, you can do it with
69 "mount" in a terminal as root (for example). It could be argued about
70 how smart is to do it, but it's easy alright.
71
72 I care more about stuff like the above screenshot; I could argue that
73 it's easier (or at least not as difficult) to set up a BT headset for
74 use with Skype on the fly on Linux than on Mac OS X or Windows. For
75 that level of easiness and automagicality™, you need the whole stack
76 working correctly.
77
78 It is nice to learn how to do all of that by hand; if you have the
79 time (and the interest) is a nice thing to do. For doing real work,
80 it's not very useful.
81
82 Regards.
83 --