From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:32:46
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Every time that a USB device is inserted or removed, an
3 > "event" is triggered by the kernel. What's required is an "event
4 > handler" that reacts appropriately to those events. This is usually
5 > udev, but mdev will also work. I've replaced udev with mdev on my
6 > machine ( see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev ) and I've implemented
7 > USB automounting under mdev, using scripts. It works even in text
8 > console mode. See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
9
10 Walter,
11
12 Thank you. What I'm hearing is:
13
14 1. There are many ways to get USB automount
15
16 2. One way is to install udev and fabricate the correct scripting to
17 cause the automount to take place
18
19 3. By some magic a GUI system such as GNOME, XFCE, TWM, etc will
20 recognize when (2) happens and show an icon on the desktop [I'm
21 talking somewhat tongue in cheek WRT TWM]
22
23 If this is correct, I'd like to know:
24
25 a) what is the scripting I need to fabricate to get (2) to work correctly.
26
27 b) what is the magic by which (3) happens.
28
29 Thank you,
30
31 Chris