From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 05:06:23
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 03:56:20PM -0700, Chris Stankevitz wrote
2
3 > Also, ideally after I know about it I'd like to be able to
4 > "understand" and derive on my own the answer to this question:
5 > "is it possible for TWM to recognize when I plug in a USB thumbdrive
6 > and display it for me to use."
7
8 A GUI is not necessary. TWM by itself is not only not enough, it's
9 not relevant. Every time that a USB device is inserted or removed, an
10 "event" is triggered by the kernel. What's required is an "event
11 handler" that reacts appropriately to those events. This is usually
12 udev, but mdev will also work. I've replaced udev with mdev on my
13 machine ( see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev ) and I've implemented
14 USB automounting under mdev, using scripts. It works even in text
15 console mode. See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
16
17 My approach may not be appropriate for a Gentoo newbie. In GNOME/KDE
18 etc, automounting is one of a ton of extra goodies in "the kitchen sink"
19 and it "just works". My approach requires doing some manual setting up
20 before it works. However, if you want an idea of the mechanics involved
21 my USB automount page provides the background... because I had to ask a
22 question similar to yours, and spend a few weeks searching for answers
23 on the web. It helps that I'm retired, and have the necessary time.
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
27 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications