From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB automount
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:58:21
1 120911 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 Chris Stankevitz asked how to automount a USB stick :
3 > A GUI is not necessary. Every time a USB device is inserted or removed,
4 > an "event" is triggered by the kernel. What's required is
5 > an "event handler" that reacts appropriately to those events.
6 > This is usually udev, but mdev will also work.
7 > See https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB
8
9 Why do people want to automount these sticks ?
10
11 I goto the root console which is always open on one of my desktops
12 & enter 'musb', which is a Bash alias for a 'mount' command;
13 when I've finished, I enter 'uusb' & wait for the prompt to come back,
14 which shows the stick has been successfully dismounted;
15 I can check its status via 'df' whenever I want.
16
17 I rarely want to use > 1 stick at the same time,
18 but it wb easy to create several aliases for different dev-mnt pairs.
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca