From: Jigme Datse <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multi-user login manager
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:30:58
1 On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 21:21:14 +0100
2 antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Two problems - I would like to run without X, but it seems that the
5 > greeters need X to run ...
6
7 The greeters do, but a simple login prompt doesn't... But from what I
8 can tell, you can't run multiseat (which I think is the term for what
9 you're wanting to do) without running X, Wayland, or Mir. The virtual
10 terminals while you can switch between them, assume a single "user"
11 attached to it.
12
13 > Also I want to run a multi-user system. I know you can put multiple
14 > monitors on one graphics card, and that gives you a multi-head
15 > system, but I've got TWO graphics cards. I want to plug in two
16 > keyboards, two mice, and have two users sitting there.
17
18 This sounds like what you are describing is what this Ubuntu page[1] is
19 calling multiseat. This appears to require having some Windowing
20 system though it may not be true any more. The Gentoo Multiseat
21 documentation[2] indicates it may not be required.
22
23 > From what I can make out, this isn't possible with sddm. Lightdm
24 > looks like it might be possible, but there isn't a man page, and I
25 > haven't installed it so I can't find out what's what.
26
27 The Gentoo page indicates that LightDM and SDDM both support multiseat
28 with either elogind or systemd used. I'm not sure what login manager
29 you're using, as that may be an issue. Consolekit is largely
30 unsupported,
31
32 > Or can I fire up two instances of greetd? One on eg vt7 and the other
33 > on vt8? If so, how do I configure vt7 and vt8 to be my two different
34 > screen/keyboard/mouse combos?
35
36 This appears to "not work" as the VTs assume a single seat. I honestly
37 thought that something like this was possible.
38
39 > Lightdm also says it will do vnc, but again, the lack of
40 > documentation...
41
42 I have little idea about this.
43
44 > And lastly, I remember something about waypipe. How easy is it to
45 > link Windows and linux with waypipe?
46
47 I'm not sure what options are available for running waypipe on Windows.
48 My search doesn't show anything obvious. That probably would be the
49 question to answer about that. From what I can tell about Waypipe, is
50 if it's running, it should be easy to connect between machines
51 relatively easily, though it's still another layer to keep in mind.
52
53 > I know I'm asking a lot, but I tend to find documentation makes sense
54 > only after you already know what it's saying ... :-) I'm hoping for a
55 > "cookbook" style approach, but I don't expect much of that because I
56 > know what I'm doing isn't very common ...
57
58 The best I can tell about anything "cookbook" is that a big part of why
59 that doesn't really exist is even with online stuff, by the time
60 someone has managed to set stuff up with the current state of things,
61 and be able to write out the documentation, that likely won't work with
62 what someone new might be facing.
63
64 I hope my looking into it (mainly because I actually want to know how
65 difficult it would be to setup, if that's what I was wanting to do),
66 can be helpful to you.
67
68 [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multiseat
69 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Multiseat