From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Keeping /usr/portage/distfiles empty. Need the room. :/
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 03:35:06
1 Pingveno wrote:
2
3 > As a horrible, horrible hack, you could just write a shell script to
4 > be run by crond. I'm sure there's something better, though.
5 >
6 Well, right now I'm just doing a rm -rfv /usr/portage/distfiles/* every
7 few hours. It works but it did fill up once. The system was still
8 running but the emerge had failed. It couldn't create a directory that
9 it needed, you know the rest. It did let me use the rm command though.
10
11 I'm trying to set up a rig for my Mom. I may be moving soon and I want
12 her to learn how to use a puter, she's in her 70's so this will be fun,
13 we tried once before. She has trouble grasping that she moves her hand
14 and the mouse pointer moves. o_@ Clicking is fun too. LOL
15
16 Maybe I can make it without to many more crashes. At least when it
17 crashes it doesn't bork the whole system. Poor thing. 1GHz proc and
18 256MBs of ram and a whimpy sized, slow as syrup hard drive. :(
19
20 Somewhat off topic, what files can I safely delete in /tmp and /var ? I
21 know not to delete the logs but some stuff is taking up some space. It
22 sort of needs it.
23
24 Thanks
25