From: danielhf@××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:09:23
1 On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 05:28:21PM -0500, Matt Garman wrote:
2 >
3 > Before this gets into a flame war, let's just operate under the
4 > assertion that the "best" window manager/desktop environment is
5 > strictly a matter of personal preference.
6 >
7 > So, having said that, what window manager do you use, and why? I
8 > wouldn't trade the multitude of options availabe in Linux for
9 > anything, but the choices can be overwhelming.
10 >
11 > I've played with a lot of 'em, starting with fvwm, through window
12 > maker, enlightenment 15 & 16, icewm, gnome, xfce, kde, blackbox...
13 > I've been using Fluxbox for quite a while now.
14 >
15 > I want something that is fairly minimal/lightweight, but with a hint
16 > of eye candy and a functional "panel" or taskbar. Fluxbox just
17 > about has this, but, I can't seem to figure out how to get a
18 > gnome-like panel (unless I ran gnome, which would trump the
19 > lighweight requirement).
20 >
21 > I've seen the E17 screenshots, and I'd like to run it, but it's not
22 > a trivial install, plus it's still alpha code (though there's plenty
23 > of anecdotal evidence that it's plenty stable... I'd still rather
24 > wait for an "official" release).
25 >
26 > Some interesting links, if you aren't already aware:
27 >
28 > http://xwinman.org/ - basic overview of available WMs/DEs
29 > http://www.lynucs.org/ - desktop screenshot archive
30 > http://www.enlightenment.org/ - best of eye candy :)
31 >
32 > Anyway, I was just hoping to start a "pub"-style conversation on
33 > what people like/disklike in a window manager.
34 >
35 > Thanks,
36 > Matt
37 >
38 > --
39 > Matt Garman
40 > email at: http://raw-sewage.net/index.php?file=email
41 > --
42 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
45 seems that nobody likes FVWM, i dont like to try a lot of things,
46 most of WMs mentioned here are not used )-:
47 Gnome and KDE are OK and used to be my faviorate desktops, however,
48 they are just too good for me, ;-) i would like one which is lightweight
49 and can be fully controlled. i know there must be a lot of excellent WM
50 around, i just give FVWM a try and stick to it afterwards, i configured
51 a taskbar, a clock, some menus and nothing more. it's perfect!
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list