From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recent trouble with wicd and systemd (non-global ctrl_ifname)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 07:59:32
1 On 13/12/2013 00:47, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
3 >> At home I use a wired connection so did notice the following problem
4 >> until I traveled and tried to connect wirelessly.
5 >> The problem must have started sometime within the past month.
6 >>
7 >> If I have wicd started by systemd, i.e.
8 >> systemctl enable wicd
9 >> The wired network is started fine but not the wireless. Instead, I see
10 >> in the systemd journal
11 >>
12 >> wicd[290]: Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: wired error: No
13 >> such file or directory
14 >> wicd[290]: Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: wireless error: No
15 >> such file or directory
16 >>
17 >> If I instead systemctl disable wicd, reboot, and then manually type
18 >> wpa_supplicant -i wireless -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
19 >> it works.
20 >>
21 >> Indeed after I have booted I can start wicd and cannot get the error
22 >> above, but the actual behavior is not consistent.
23 >>
24 >> My system is ~amd64, profile gnome/systemd
25 >>
26 >> My wireless driver is from the package broadcom-sta (wl)
27 >
28 > I have never used wicd, so I can't say exactly what it's the problem;
29 > but I was under the impression that wicd is basically dead. Its last
30 > release was more than a year and a half ago.
31 >
32 > Regards.
35 release more than a year and a half ago != dead
36
37 the code the user has still works whether the devs adds upstream commits
38 or not.
39 It hasn't bit-rooted, is not incompatible with everything else and
40 doesn't have outstanding security bugs with little chance of being fixed.
41
42 So what's the problem?
43
44 By that logic, zenity needs to have died 5 years ago but it's still around
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com