From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng-3.6.1 nearly no log anymore
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 13:00:08
1 On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 5:44 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 05:32:14 -0500, Tom H wrote:
3 >
4 >> Is the "systemd" USE flag an actual syslog-ng compilation option or it
5 >> is a flag to generate systemd units when syslog-ng is installed?
6 >
7 > Both.
10 Please read the ebuild before giving answers like this. The unit file
11 is installed regardless of flag setting (which is the standard
12 policy). There is a compile-time option which this also toggles, and
13 it also changes the logrotate script (which probably isn't ideal).
14
15 I don't know offhand what toggling the compile-time option does. It
16 seems that it does more than simply enable systemd support, though
17 there might be run-time options to control that and if so those should
18 be added to the openrc init.d script.
19
20 Looking at the syslog-ng admin guide, consider changing your log
21 source from system() (which autodetects the source) to something like:
22
23 unix-dgram("/dev/log");
24
25 file("/proc/kmsg" program-override("kernel") flags(kernel));
26
27 That appears to be what system() does when not running systemd. If
28 this works then I think upstream might accept a bug report on this -
29 the autodetection code isn't actually detecting whether systemd is
30 running, but whether it was enabled/installed/etc.
33 Rich