From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting vanilla kernel 4.1.x
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 17:54:57
1 On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Peter Weilbacher
2 <newsspam@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Hi Alexander,
4 >
5 > On Sun, 23 Aug 2015, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
6 >
7 >> On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Peter Weilbacher <newsspam@××××××××××.org> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> > after successfully using kernel 4.0.5 (vanilla-sources) for a while, I
10 >> > upgraded to 4.1.5 last week and 4.1.6 today. I cannot boot either of
11 >> > them. On the screen I see
12 >> >
13 >> > Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
14 >> > Booting the kernel.
15 >> >
16 >> > as the last thing, then it just sits there.
17 >>
18 >> I am running vanilla-sources 4.1.6, and so far I have not had any
19 >> trouble booting it.
20 >>
21 >> Are you able to boot some of your previous kernels? If so, what does
22 >> your '/boot/grub/grub.cfg' look like?
23 >> What is the output of 'cat /etc/fstab' and 'ls -1 /boot'?
24 >
25 > I can still boot 4.0.5 fine, with the same setup. I use lilo, and I
26 > checked that I changed the two/four digits correctly in /etc/lilo.conf.
27 >
28 > By chance I left the boot sit there for more than the typical minute,
29 > and got multiple messages like
30 >
31 > INFO: rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 3} (t=60000 jiffies g=-256 c=-257 q=193)
32 > rcu_sched kthread starved for 50027 jiffies!
33 >
34 > right after the above "Booting the kernel." line.
35 >
36 > Do I need to activate a different kind of clocking or a CPU feature in
37 > 4.1.x?
38 >
39 > Peter.
42 I've never experienced this particular kernel trouble myself, so I'm
43 not sure if my input would be of much help.
44 Here's what the kernel documentation has to say about this kind of issue:
45
46 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/RCU/stallwarn.txt:29,33
47 CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_INFO
48
49 This kernel configuration parameter causes the stall warning to
50 print out additional per-CPU diagnostic information, including
51 information on scheduling-clock ticks and RCU's idle-CPU tracking.
52
53 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/RCU/stallwarn.txt:104,109
54 If the CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_INFO kernel configuration parameter is set,
55 more information is printed with the stall-warning message, for example:
56
57 INFO: rcu_preempt detected stall on CPU
58 0: (63959 ticks this GP) idle=241/3fffffffffffffff/0 softirq=82/543
59 (t=65000 jiffies)
60
61 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/RCU/stallwarn.txt:240,250
62 To diagnose the cause of the stall, inspect the stack traces.
63 The offending function will usually be near the top of the stack.
64 If you have a series of stall warnings from a single extended stall,
65 comparing the stack traces can often help determine where the stall
66 is occurring, which will usually be in the function nearest the top of
67 that portion of the stack which remains the same from trace to trace.
68 If you can reliably trigger the stall, ftrace can be quite helpful.
69
70 RCU bugs can often be debugged with the help of CONFIG_RCU_TRACE
71 and with RCU's event tracing. For information on RCU's event tracing,
72 see include/trace/events/rcu.h.
73
74 Have a look for possibly stack traces in these log files:
75 /var/log/{messages,dmesg}.
76
77 Hopefully, someone else with more kernel debugging experience will
78 have something more substantial to say about this.