From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package.provided?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 16:07:41
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Setup:
3 >
4 > Installing X on Vbox vm runnning gentoo (amd64 not strict). Host
5 > is win10 (64bit)
6 >
7 > Installing the xorg-server is calling for the installation of
8 > app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.0.32
9 >
10 > However, my version of vbox is for a windows host (5.1.14). And
11 > actually has the guest additions for that version already installed.
12 >
13 > Also before I noticed what was getting installed emerge had tried and
14 > failed to install the cited above package.
15 >
16 > I noticed the version that matches my vbox version (5.1.14) is
17 > available but masked unless setting ~amd64. I'm trying for a stable
18 > setup so, put this in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords:
19 >
20 > =app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.1.14 ~amd64
21 >
22 > I tried to emerge it directly with:
23 > emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions
24 >
25 > And sure enough emerge selected the right version but again the
26 > install failed. I did not understand the failure from the build log.
27 >
28 > But since I have the proper version and am able to install it with the
29 > regular method vbox expects (mount the additions and install with
30 >
31 > sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
32 >
33 > And since that method uses the currently installed kernel for its
34 > installation. Seems I can just reinstall the addtions using that
35 > method and tell gentoo about it with package.provided.
38 Again no solution from me, but looking at the virtualbox-guest-additions-5.1.14.ebuild
39 there is a postinst log which you probably did not see due to the emerge failure, that
40 suggests a number of operations required to make the guest additions work properly:
41
42 elog "Please add users to the \"vboxguest\" group so they can"
43 elog "benefit from seamless mode, auto-resize and clipboard."
44 elog ""
45 elog "The vboxsf group has been added to make automount services work."
46 elog "These services are part of the shared folders support."
47 elog ""
48 elog "Please add:"
49 elog "/etc/init.d/${PN}"
50 elog "to the default runlevel in order to start"
51 elog "needed services."
52 elog "To use the VirtualBox X driver, use the following"
53 elog "file as your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:"
54 elog " /usr/share/doc/${PF}/xorg.conf.vbox"
55 elog ""
56 elog "Also make sure you use the Mesa library for OpenGL:"
57 elog " eselect opengl set xorg-x11"
58 elog ""
59 elog "An autostart .desktop file has been installed to start"
60 elog "VBoxClient in desktop sessions."
61 elog ""
62 elog "You can mount shared folders with:"
63 elog " mount -t vboxsf <shared_folder_name> <mount_point>"
64 elog ""
65 elog "Warning:"
66 elog "this ebuild is only needed if you are running gentoo"
67 elog "inside a VirtualBox Virtual Machine, you don't need"
68 elog "it to run VirtualBox itself."
69
70 If you did not do the above you might incur in trouble later. Apart from this if I were
71 you I'd try to understand why the guest-additions emerge failed. Maybe you could try to
72 post the ebuild log?
73
74 raffaele