From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ntfs-3g access rights
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 19:01:07
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 17:58 on Sunday 03 October 2010, Mick did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On Sunday 03 October 2010 16:39:53 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > On 10/03/2010 05:13 PM, Mick wrote:
6 > > > Hi All,
7 > > >
8 > > > On a box which dual boots into MSWindows I mount a ntfs partition using
9 > > > fstab as follows:
10 > > >
11 > > > /dev/sda9 /mnt/data ntfs-3g defaults,noatime,locale=en_GB.utf8
12 > > > 0 0
13 > > >
14 > > > however, when I ls the contents all files and directories are shown as:
15 > > >
16 > > > (d)rwxrwxrwx
17 > > >
18 > > > The problem is that these are different to the MSWindows rights and
19 > > > also if I untar any fs in there then the access rights of that tarred
20 > > > fs are not retained.
21 > > >
22 > > > What is an appropriate way to configure this so that the Linux user has
23 > > > the same access rights as the MSWindows user?
24 > > >
25 > > > PS. I have set up a UserMapping file, but this has not made any
26 > > > difference.
27 > >
28 > > AFAIK, it's not possible. Windows access rights are totally different
29 > > than Unix ones.
30 > :
31 > :-( OK, thanks.
32
33 I don't have ntsf-3g installed here, and have no use for it, and can't be
34 arsed to install it to check :-)
35
36 But, it's mount command ought to obey the usual permission model for using
37 foreign filesystems on Unix, which is:
38
39 As the models are so different and can't be mapped one to another sanely,
40 mount fudges the permissions. Basically, it assigns the same umask and
41 ownership to every object on the volume. The default is umask=0000,
42 owner=root:root (actually 0:0), but that's just a default and it can actually
43 be anything. Look into the docs for such mount options as
44
45 uid
46 gid
47 umask
48 fmask
49 dmask
50
51 The last two are from vfat, they just let you use one mask for directories and
52 another for files (which is quite sane actually - otherwise you get every file
53 on the volume being executable which is crazy).
54
55 Assuming your uid is 1000, primary group 1000, you can then use options
56 something like:
57
58 uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0007,fmask=0117
59
60 which gives a sane unix-like set of permissions. Nothing close to windows but
61 a) you don't have to be root to use it and b) the www user can't trash your
62 files on the ntfs volume.
63
64 Like I said, I've never used ntfs-3g but the above is a pretty common
65 permissions model and it's reasonable to assume ntfs-3g probably implements it
66 or something similar. As always, read the fine docs and YMMV.
70 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com