From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Soft scrolling on framebuffer consoles - New version of the patch.
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 18:23:37
1 Hello, Gentoo.
2
3 Here is the latest version of my soft scrolling patch for the gentoo
4 kernel version 5.15.80. It will surely work on any reasonably recent
5 kernel version, and also on future versions. The new version doesn't
6 add any new functionality, it just patches the kernel giving rise to
7 fewer messages from the patch utility.
8
9 The purpose of the patch is to enable you to scroll a linux console text
10 display up and down by half a screen by typing <shift><down> and
11 <shift><up>.
12
13 To use this patch, proceed thusly:
14
15 (i) cd /usr/src/linux-5.15.80, or similar. Get the attached patch file,
16 5.15.80-scroll-20221212.diff into this directory.
17 (ii) patch -p1 < 5.15.80-scroll-20221212.diff.
18 (iii) Configure the kernel in your usual way. The extra items added by
19 the patch are CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_SOFT_SCROLLBACK and
20 CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_SOFT_SCROLLBACK_SIZE, to be found in make
21 menuconfig under Device Drivers/Graphic Support/Console display driver
22 support. The help items for these should explain them adequately.
23 (iv) Build the kernel.
24 (v) Put the new kernel into your usual boot manager.
25 (vi) Reboot and enjoy!
26
27 As far as I know this patch should be safe (apart from the mysterious
28 alleged security problem which caused the soft scrolling to be removed
29 from the kernel in the first place). There is certainly nothing
30 malicious in it. But if it does break anything for you, you get to keep
31 the pieces. But if anything does go wrong, please tell me about it
32 (preferably here on the list, but by private email if you'd prefer), so
33 that I can try and fix it.
36 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

5.15.80-scroll.20221212.diff text/plain