From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ing and compiling pkgs for multiple PCs
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:11:39
1 On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 20:59:02 -0400
2 Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > distcc is, IMO, a bit more elegant than (for instance) trying to
6 > > manually emerge binary packages for machine A on PC B. You can tell
7 > > it to share the work or just unload it to the most powerful
8 > > machine. There may be concerns about using a binary package if USE
9 > > flags are different between the two machines, but distcc ensures
10 > > that the package is built using those defined in make.conf of the
11 > > machine on which you're running emerge.
12 >
13 > Yes! I was actually trying distcc today for the first time and got
14 > it working from the perspective of my fastest computer, I got some
15 > trouble though (see below). What you mentioned about running the
16 > `emerge -uDN world` on each individual machines + sharing built
17 > packages is absolutely awesome. Best of all worlds if i could say!
21 Perhaps you have tried it already, but I didn't see it mentioned
22 in this thread, so: for additional speed up of the compilation at the
23 expense of disk space you may try ccache.
24
25 ccache, gentoo.org: http://tinyurl.com/6o2ql
26
27 ccache & distcc, gentoo-wiki.com: http://tinyurl.com/85ngj