From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ing and compiling pkgs for multiple PCs
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:56:39
1 Hi Stroller, my email was probably as complex as I was confused, but you helped
2 a lot...
3
4 > Your email is very long, so I'm not sure if I've taken it all in, but
5 > what I'd suggest is a shared /usr/portage directory (easily done by NFS)
6 > and distcc.
7
8 This creates a dependency on the host that contains the portage tree. It also
9 remove some flexibility. For example, taking my laptop away from my 'portage pc'
10 would make it impossible for me to modify my current installs while away. There
11 are other consideration and the use of a sync'ed portage tree on each pc vs
12 using nfs is a debate that I won't go into now and this part is not much of an
13 importance in my problem... compilation is!...
14
15 > distcc is, IMO, a bit more elegant than (for instance) trying to
16 > manually emerge binary packages for machine A on PC B. You can tell it
17 > to share the work or just unload it to the most powerful machine. There
18 > may be concerns about using a binary package if USE flags are different
19 > between the two machines, but distcc ensures that the package is built
20 > using those defined in make.conf of the machine on which you're running
21 > emerge.
22
23 Yes! I was actually trying distcc today for the first time and got it working
24 from the perspective of my fastest computer, I got some trouble though (see
25 below). What you mentioned about running the `emerge -uDN world` on each
26 individual machines + sharing built packages is absolutely awesome. Best of all
27 worlds if i could say!
28
29 However, when using distcc, I first made a trial with a small package
30 'xmahjongg' and got a nice x4 speedup on the overall emerge. I wanted to try
31 with a larger package, 'povray' and stumbled on a linker issue, the issue is
32 described below and this is the only obstacle on my way now. As I fear doing a
33 `emerge -e system && emerge -e world` would never complete using distcc...
34
35 Doing: `time emerge povray` without distcc yields a functionnal package, while
36 when distcc was enabled, I would get lots of undefined references to some
37 __pthreads functions. But I just tried and it seems to work fine, not
38 reproducible, so I'll drop my distcc issue and go on with the -e recompilation.
39
40 Unless you have some more tips on using distcc on such a large compile?
41
42 Thanks again,
43 Simon